Selasa, 11 Mei 2010

The other next big thing : Peer to Peer Carsharing

A couple of months ago I had in mind 2 "next big things" - car2go and peer to peer (p2p) carsharing. I've held off writing about p2p in anticipation that RelayRiders would go live and I could talk about it as it actually works not as a hypothetical. (Full disclosure, I'm consulting with RelayRides.)

Since then p2p carsharing and car rental has been all over the internet — Spride, Gettaround in the US; Whipcar and Wombat Car Club in the UK. (For what it's worth, there's a parallel movement to peer to peer car rental going on, as well — Spagg for example, and there are similar p2p car rental companies in Germany and Australia.)

What is peer to peer carsharing? It's traditional carsharing using privately owned vehicles temporarily made available to a carsharing company for others to drive. Like traditional carsharing the vehicles are decentralized, they're available by the hour, and they include gas and insurance in the rates (ideally full insurance coverage, not state minimum coverage).

But first, a point of clarification: some of the services that claim to be carsharing don't actually meet what I would call the minimum requirements for calling themselves carsharing — most importantly lacking "unattended access", through a lockbox or electronic technology. If you've got to meet the owner to exchange keys at the beginning and end of the trip I just don't see how that will provide sufficient convenience of access for drivers.

Here's why I think unattended access important: if you want to claim to be carsharing I want to be sure it will deliver the benefits that so many of us have worked so hard to establish over the years — fewer cars on the road, fewer parked cars, VMT reductions,
increased use of transit, bicycling and walking. If not,
why should local governments support carsharing?
Car rental, even so-called hourly car rental,
has never demonstrated these benefits.
(Because of the lack of unattended access,
in my mind,
this excludes Spride and Whipcar
as real carsharing at the present time)
leaving RelayRider and Gettaround
as the only bona fide peer to
peer carsharing services.


Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar